The Food Pantry in Mandarin
"This service that you perform is not only supplying the needs of God's people but is also overflowing in many expressions of thanks to God. Because of the service by which you have proved yourselves, men will praise God for the obedience that accompanies your confession of the gospel of Christ, and for your generosity in sharing with them and with everyone else." 2 Corinthians 9:12-13
The mission of Christ Church Community Food Pantry is to collect food and distribute to those in need in our church and in our community.
Dates Open in 2014:
- January 11
- January 25
- February 8
- February 22
- March 8
- March 22
- April 12
- April 26
- May 10
- May 24
- June 14
- June 28
- July 12
- July 26
- August 9
- August 23
- September 13
- September 27
- October 11
- October 25
- November 8*
- November 15*
- December 13*
- December 20*
*the Food Pantry is open the 2nd and 3rd Saturday of the month in November & December due to the holidays
Hours of operation:
- 9:00 am-11:00 am the 2nd and 4th Saturday of the month.
- Numbers will be given out starting at 7:30 am. Please bring your photo ID.
- We distribute food out of the Christ Church Mandarin Community Center.
- 9791 Old St. Augustine Road, Jacksonville, FL 32257
How do I get food? (New process change):
Attention! Major change with the Food Pantry Number System!
There is no long an advantage to arriving at the Food Pantry very early to get in line for a number. Every family in the parking lot at 7:30 am will be given a numbered coupon and the other half of the coupon will be placed in a container. The coupons in the container will be mixed and there will be a drawing of 150 coupons. Each drawn coupon number will be matched to the holder's number and the holder will then be given a card numbered 1 to 150. No additional numbers will be given out. Those numbers will be the Pantry's clients for the day.
Please bring a photo ID. If you arrive and the numbers are all gone, please try again at the next opening.
- Pantry Director, Kathy Clements, 945-8338.
- Volunteer Coordinator, Carrie Shiver, 405-6413 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The Pantry is always looking for volunteers! See below for descriptions of volunteer needs. Please contact Carrie Shiver (405-6413 or email@example.com) or Kathy Clements (945-8338) if you are interested. Even if you can only serve an hour a month, every little bit is much appreciated and goes a long way!
- Shopping Assistants: accompany a veteran shopper at Second Harvest. Times are flexible. This is labor-intensive work, so a strong back is needed. Contact Kathy Clements for more information (945-8338)
- Baggers: fill grocery bags. This takes place on the Thursday before a Distribution Saturday, so only twice a month. Bagging begins as early as 4pm.
Distribution Saturdays (2nd and 4th):
- Set-Up: arrive between 8-8:15am to set up tables
- Registrars: complete paperwork for clients, 9-11 am
- Carts/Runners: assist clients by taking groceries to their vehicle, 9-11 am
- Kitchen Help: assist with getting groceries ready for cart runners, 9-11 am
- Kids' Table: volunteers play with and supervise children of clients while they wait for groceries or prayer
- Prayer: volunteers visit with and/or pray with clients who request prayer, 9-11 am
Monetary Donations: The Food Pantry is asking for monetary donations. The amount of food they usually receive has been lowered recently, so they have to make more purchases through Second Harvest. If you feel led to donate to the Food Pantry, you can place a check in the offering plate (make check out to Christ Church, memo: Food Pantry), donate online (make sure you select Food Pantry from the drop down menu), or some large companys will match your donation (please contact Kathy Clements on how to do this, 904-945-8338).
Food: Due to the high volume of food the Pantry Team gives out each month, they are always looking for food donations to help stock their shelves. Food donations can be dropped off in the church lobby. Look for the 2 white bins marked "Christ Church Food Pantry" located near the front door. Here is a list of food that is always in high demand:
- Peanut Butter
- Canned Tuna
- Canned Chicken Breast
- Canned Turkey Breast
- Bagged Rice
- Rice Side Dishes
- Noodle Side Dishes
- All kinds of pasta
- Pasta Sauce
- Dry beans
- Jiffy Mix corn bread
- Canned tomatoes, any kind
- Canned veggies, any kind
- Soups of any kind
- Mac and Cheese
- Children friendly cereal
WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING CLOTHES DONATIONS! Please donate your items to a charity of your choosing.